Toolmaker CareersResume Sample » Career Guide » Manufacturing And Engineering Careers » Toolmaker Careers
As a toolmaker, you'd make tools such as moulds, jigs and dies, which are utilized by engineering and manufacturing craftspeople. You would work with alloys, composite-materials (recognized as castings/stocks), and metals.
Your job as a toolmaker would include:
- performing fundamental machine-maintenance
- outlining design of tool on casting/stock according to engineering designs and drawings
You can also specialize as a tool repairer, machinist or toolmaker fitter.
- checking dimensions of product using precision-measuring tools, such as gauges and micrometers
- cutting and shaping component by cutting equipment, lathes, grinders, and presses
Most of the machine instruments utilized within industry are CNC (Computer-Numerically Controlled). This indicates that a computer-program operates equipment, and you'd be accountable for regulating and monitoring before the work begins.
Qualification, Education and Experience:
You can get on to this profession by accomplishing a traineeship. To gain entry to traineeship scheme, you'd necessitate GCSE grades (A to C) with design and technology, science, Mathematics, engineering, and English, or similar qualifications.
The availability of Traineeships within your region will rely on regional employment market and the kind of abilities employers want from employees.
Then again, you can acquire an academy course to train you with some skills which are required for this work. Related courses comprise:
For further details regarding engineering careers, contact SEMTA.
- BTEC: Certificate into Engineering
- City and Guilds: Certificate into Engineering
- BTEC: Diploma and Certificate into Manufacturing Engineering-Mechanical
You'd be given training at the work, including health and safety, company goods, and procedures. You can acquire several vocational qualifications, like:
These qualifications have modules in drilling, grinding, turning and milling. Furthermore, you might get training to utilize CNC machineries.
- Diploma into Engineering and Technology - Mechanical
- Third Level NVQ into Engineering Tool-making
- Second Level NVQ into Engineering Operations
- Diploma into Extrusion, Tool-making and Presswork
- Second and Third Level NVQ into Mechanical-Manufacturing Engineering
Skills and knowledge:
- fine concentration-skills
- a knowledge of attributes of materials
- capability to work by yourself
- excellent technical and practical abilities
- capability to visualize how produced item would look
- capability to comprehend engineering designs
- excellent mathematical abilities
- capability to work with accuracy
Salary and Other Benefits:
- Initial remunerations for toolmakers can be about $16,000 to $18,000 for a year.
- By experience earnings can boost to $19,000 to $25,000.
- Earnings of senior toolmakers can be around $26,000 to $31,000.
You'd work weekly for about 41 hours as per shift scheme, comprising weekends and nights. Sometimes, you may have to work overtime.
You'd work within a workshop or plant. You'd put on eye and ear guards, and safety boots.
If you have CNC machine skills, you might increase chances of finding job.
By experience you can advance to machine maintenance or workshop supervisor position. By additional training and experience, you can progress to an engineering technician level.
Administrative and Clerical Careers
Alternative Therapies Careers
Animals, Plants and Land Careers
Arts, Crafts and Design Careers
Catering Services Careers
Education and Training Careers
Environmental Sciences Careers
Financial Services Careers
General and Personal Services Careers
Legal Services Careers
Maintenance, Service and Repair Careers
Management And Planning Careers
Manufacturing And Engineering Careers
Marketing Sales And Advertising Careers
Medical Technology Careers
Medicine And Nursing Careers
Performing Arts Broadcast And Media Careers
Publishing And Journalism Careers
Retail Sales And Customer Service Careers
Science And Research Careers
Security And Uniformed Services Careers
Social Services Careers
Sport Leisure And Tourism Careers
Storage Dispatching And Delivery Careers