Measurement and Control Technician CareersResume Sample » Career Guide » Manufacturing And Engineering Careers » Measurement and Control Technician Careers
As a measurement and control technician, you'd work with tools which control production process and machinery, within industries like engineering and manufacturing. For instance, you'd utilize equipment to ensure that medical-instruments are functioning appropriately, or instrument panels to check that production-line is working efficiently.
Your tasks as a measurement and control technician would contain:
- designing, operating, testing and calibrating newer control-systems
- fitting, repairing and maintaining measuring equipment
Control technician should work within a team with an engineer, although you might be responsible for overseeing machine operators and craftspeople.
- controlling machinery and systems by DCSs (Distributed Control-Systems) and PLCs (Programmable Logic Controls)
- collecting and analyzing feedback information from equipment to utilize into quality control
Qualification, Education and Experience:
You can get on to this profession by a scheme of Traineeship. To gain entry to this scheme, you'd necessitate 4 GCSE grades (A to C), with Engineering, Mathematics and Science, or similar qualifications.
The availability of Traineeships within your region will rely on regional employment market and the kind of abilities employers want from employees.
You can acquire an academy course, like BTEC-qualification, to train you with some skills which are required for the work. Related courses comprise:
Check the website of SEMTA, for further details regarding careers in engineering.
- Second Level Diploma into Manufacturing Engineering
- National Diploma or Certificate into Maintenance-Engineering
- Second Level Certificate into Engineering
- Diploma or Certificate into Mechanical, Electrical or Electronic Engineering
When you're working, you might be supported to acquire a vocational NVQ qualification related to work. Choices comprise:
You can also study on part time basis for BTEC: HND/HNC into Operations Engineering (Instrument and Control). At this level, other engineering-subjects include measurement and control choices, e.g. electronic/electrical engineering.
- Third level in Engineering Technical Support, Maintaining Systems and Plant, Installation and Commissioning, or Marine-Engineering Operations
- First and Second Level in Engineering Operations
- Second and Third Level in Process-Engineering Maintenance
- Second and Third Level in Engineering Maintenance and Installation
You can develop your prospects by enrolling with Engineering Council to get status of Engineering Technology, with a Third Level qualification. Visit the website of Engineering Council, for further details.
Skills and knowledge:
- capability to work by yourself or as member of a group
- excellent problem resolving abilities
- a knowledge of computer-engineering applications
- a concern and interest into microelectronics and electronics
- excellent communications abilities
- capability to work accurately and systematically
Salary and Other Benefits:
- Initial remunerations for measurement and control technician can be about $18,000 to $21,000 for a year.
- By experience, earnings can boost to around $23,000 to $32,000.
You'd work weekly for around 38 to 41 hours as per shift scheme. You might need to work as per on-call duties for out of hours issues.
You can work within research/hospital facility, a factory production-line, or an electronics production factory. You might perform few jobs outdoors, e.g. on rail/road signaling systems.
You can discover work chances within areas, like production control and estimating, equipment testing, control-systems installation, and design and production of computerized controls and components.
By experience you can advance to supervisory post. By additional training and experience, you can progress to project engineer or management position.
Administrative and Clerical Careers
Alternative Therapies Careers
Animals, Plants and Land Careers
Arts, Crafts and Design Careers
Catering Services Careers
Education and Training Careers
Environmental Sciences Careers
Financial Services Careers
General and Personal Services Careers
Legal Services Careers
Maintenance, Service and Repair Careers
Management And Planning Careers
Manufacturing And Engineering Careers
Marketing Sales And Advertising Careers
Medical Technology Careers
Medicine And Nursing Careers
Performing Arts Broadcast And Media Careers
Publishing And Journalism Careers
Retail Sales And Customer Service Careers
Science And Research Careers
Security And Uniformed Services Careers
Social Services Careers
Sport Leisure And Tourism Careers
Storage Dispatching And Delivery Careers